Wednesday, September 08, 2004

This man called Ivan IV - Wednesday

The Weather Channel is reporting a direct hit and severe damage. But early Wednesday there is no footage of the destruction as yet. No one from inside Grenada has posted anything to the Spiceislander Talkshop as yet. Seems like a complete shut out. Efforts to call Grenada by phone get the same frustrating reply all the time .... We're sorry, all circuits are busy now... we nonetheless keep trying to call all the numbers we know in Grenada. Still, all circuits are busy now.

By Wednesday afternoon, I begin to get small snippets from various sources. Devastation seems to be the common theme, and looting. Finally, we get through to one of my sisters in Grenada. By some miracle, her landline telephone has remained in service right through to Ivan and the first good news for the day is received. My two sisters and other family are OK. They did not lose one sheet of galvanise. One house received a broken window but that was about it. No one injured either. They were planning to visit my place to see what happened but the roads were still pretty much in a mess and passage through many roads were still blocked.

The story coming out that day was grim, the place was 'mash up' according to my sister. There was widespread looting and even the police were unable to stop the looters and that they (the police) were looting too. There seemed to be no law and order. People were beginning to loot homes after they had emptied business houses all over St George's. Cars were being stolen and people going off on joy rides. I wondered how long it would take for somebody with ill will on their mind to realise that my house was empty - there was no one home. I was anxious now to hear how my place had weathered Ivan.